A 36-year-old man has received 350,000 pounds in hospital operation debris compensation after part of a latex surgical glove was left in his throat following hospital surgery.
Wayne Williams, from Tooting, London, was taken to St. Georges Hospital in South West London for heart surgery in June 2006, during which a tracheotomy was performed to enable him to breathe.
After the surgery, Wayne experienced difficulties breathing and was referred back to the hospital for throat surgery, during which surgeons discovered a small piece of latex left behind in his trachea.
The latex debris was admitted to not only have been the cause of Wayne’s breathlessness, but had additionally permanently scarring his vocal chords.
St. George’s NHS Healthcare Trust accepted liability for medical negligence and the compensation settlement of 350,000 was agreed.